Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sunflowers and Gnomes

Do you know what happens when your girl grows up and you're left with boys?

You lose your crafty-gene.  Or maybe you don't "lose" it; it just slowly atrophies.  Because boys?  Generally don't do crafts.

So me running Cub Scouts is a challenge because I want to have a craft project for every meeting, yet I know better.  Unless you can find a non-girly craft.

Gnomes!!!  

We needed to do a garden-type meeting and since gnomes are primarily male (it's true, go look it up, I don't make this stuff up), I thought we'd give it a try.  But guess what?  If you Google "gnome crafts" or "make your own gnome," you get nothing.  Okay, you get fabric, crochet crafts.  But none for the actual garden where gnomes are supposed to reside (seriously peoples, a crochet gnome to sit next to your bedside?  have any idea how unhappy that gnome is?).  So I had to rejuvenate my crafty gene.

Easter egg gnomes!!!  How cute are they?  Okay, they're not fabulous, but the boys recognized my demo one as a gnome and they enjoyed making them.  I used the Sharpie paint pen for the faces because plastic and paint can be awkward sometimes.

I pulled up internet pics of various gnomes, talked to them about gnome legends and then I pulled up the story of Ella Stuart-Kelso and her gnome that went missing in 2008 for 7 months and was returned with a photo album of where he had been.  They LOVED that story.  We also pulled up pics of the largest gnomes on the planet.


Then we talked sunflowers and how they followed the sun; I showed them a time-lapsed video on YouTube of a garden of sunflowers moving along with the sun.  I showed them the Guinness Book Records for sunflowers.  


It was a good meeting!!!  With crafts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment